Driver licences

There are two types of driver licences:

Dual driver (hackney carriage)

  • Can drive both taxis and private hire vehicles
  • Need to pass an area knowledge test

Private hire driver

  • Can only drive private hire vehicles 
  • Cannot accept any bookings unless they either are, or work for, a licensed private hire operator within the West Oxfordshire District Council area
  • Need to take a knowledge test  

How to apply for driver licences

Contact us on 01993 861000 to book and pay for a knowledge test:

  • It costs £80.11 for dual drivers (hackney carriage) and £60.34 for private hire drivers
  • You must take photo identification with you to test
  • You will get your result within 5 days of the test

Once the knowledge test is passed please:

  • Download the medical form and make an appointment with your GP to have a medical
  • Complete a driver assessment test (see below)
  • Obtain a DVLA reference number from GOV.UK
  • Complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (see below). These must be done every 3 years.

Apply for a dual drivers licence

Apply for a private hire driver licence

Fill in medical form

Driver assessment

We have introduced a local driver assessment as an alternative to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) taxi and private hire test. Existing and new applicants can still take the DVSA taxi and private hire test if they wish.

The Local Driver Assessment is provided by a consortium of Approved Driving Instructors, takes two hours and has two stages:

  • Stage one: Your driving performance is marked and you will be told where you need to improve.
  • Stage two: Your driving is re-assessed to see if there is an improvement.

Assessments are available during the day, evening and at weekends. To book please contact one of the assessors below:

NameMobile numberEmail
Rory Colleton 07941 419797
Glenn Gannon 07779934596
Kirsty Strange 07890 811040
Philip Tristram 07815 135844
Harvey Wicks 07712 223613
Karen Amer 07792 650022
Stuart Richards 07702 245275

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

Apply for a DBS check

  • Select: Disclosure and barring service (DBS) application
  • Enter the following details:
    • Organisation reference - COTSWOLD
    • Password – council

When you have completed and submitted the form, please:

To process your application, you must bring 3 forms of identification to the Council offices to be checked by a member of reception. Applicants who hold a valid passport and drivers licence must present these as 2 of their 3 forms of ID. Please see the full list of ID that is allowed for a DBS check:

If you have any previous cautions or convictions, these will need to be determined by a Licensing Sub-Committee. Please refer to our policy on convictions for more information.

Submit your driver licence application

Please return your completed application form, DBS reference number, medical certificate, DVLA reference number, assessment certificate, a passport photo, and fee by either:

  • Email (pay by phone) to:
  • Post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Woodgreen, New Yatt Road, Witney, OX28 1NB

Applications must be submitted fully complete to be processed. Your application will be processed within 5 working days.

Renewing a licence

Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:

  • download the application form from this page
  • make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.

Please return your completed renewal forms by:

  • emailing them to: or
  • posting or delivering them to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Woodgreen, New Yatt Road, Witney, OX28 1NB

Renewal fees can be paid over the phone to 01993 861000.

Immigration Act 2016 - proof of right to work

From 1 December 2016, applicants will be required to prove that they have the right to work within the UK. We will call to book a 10 minute face to face interview to check your right to work in the UK. You will need to bring in original documents for this check, please see the list of suitable ID below:

  • the list of valid ID documents
  • If you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to bring in a form of ID from List A
  • If you have a period of 'leave' you will need to bring in a form of ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2 depending on which group applies to you.

This check is only needed once and, if you have the right to work, won't be required for future renewals. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we will need to check each time the licence is renewed. We will keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.

West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB