Hackney carriage vehicle licences
To operate your vehicle as a taxi you need to get it licensed.
Hackney Carriage (taxi) vehicles
- Can be hailed immediately (or pre-booked) by customers
- Can use the designated taxi ranks anywhere within the West Oxfordshire District Council area
- Have maximum meter fares set by the council
Requirements of licence:
- The vehicle must be fitted with a meter, no smoking signs, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
- The vehicle must be no more than 10 years old
Documents required with Hackney Carriage application
- Insurance showing that you are covered for hire and reward/public hire use
- An MOT (no more than 4 weeks old)
- V5 (or proof of purchase)
- Completed application form (when you sign this you are agreeing to our conditions which can be found in the handbook for drivers and operators)
There is a fee of £291.41
Apply for or renew a hackney carriage vehicle licence
Please return your completed application form, documents and fee by:
- Email (pay by phone) to: email@example.com
- Post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Woodgreen, New Yatt Road, Witney, OX28 1NB
Your licence will be processed within 5 working days.
Renewing a vehicle licence
Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:
- Download the application form from this page
- Make sure the form is returned to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.
Transfers of vehicle licences
Transfers follow the same requirements as new vehicles and will be processed within one working day.