Elections on Thursday 4 May 2017
On Thursday 4th May there are the Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) elections and West Oxfordshire District Council election to fill the vacancy for The Bartons Ward.
For more information about these elections please:
- view 4 May election information
- view candidate nominations for Oxfordshire County and West Oxfordshire District Council elections
- view notices of poll and location of polling stations
Register to vote and voting by post or proxy for elections on 4 May
The deadline has passed for registering to vote and for applying for a postal or proxy vote for this date. For more information please:
You may be able to apply for an emergency proxy - please contact us for more information.
Parliamentary (general) election on Thursday 8 June 2017
A parliamentary general election will take place from 7am until 10pm on Thursday 8 June 2017. For more information, please:
The list of candidates will be published here after the closing date for nominations which is 4 pm on Thursday 11 May.
The count will take place immediately after the close of the poll; and the result will be announced after 3am on Friday 9 June.
Register to vote and voting by post or proxy for Parliamentary Election
Poll cards will be sent to electors by 13 May 2017. If you're already registered to vote you don't need to apply again. Please register to vote by midnight on Monday 22 May 2017. To apply to register, please:
- visit the register to vote website.
If you haven't received a poll card by 13 May please contact us to check if you're registered.
To apply for a postal or proxy vote, please:
- download and fill in an application form from the register to vote page and return it to our elections office as follows:
- Postal votes - by 5pm on Tuesday 23 May
- Proxy votes - by 5pm on Wednesday 31 May
Postal vote ballot papers will be issued to electors on 23 May and must be returned by 10pm on 8 June.
Charlbury Town Council Election on Thursday 8 June 2017
An election to fill a vacancy on the Charlbury Town Council will be held on Thursday 8 June 2017.
This has been organised because no candidates were nominated for either of the previous dates of
9 March and 20 April. The key dates are:
- Nomination of candidates: between Wednesday 3 May and 4 pm on Thursday 11 May
- Last day to apply to receive applications to register to vote: Monday 22 May
- Deadline to receive postal voting applications: 5pm on Tuesday 23 May
- Deadline to receive proxy voting applications: 5pm on Wednesday 31 May
- Polling: 7am to 10pm on Thursday 8 June
More information will be published here in due course.
Results of previous elections
For the results of previous elections within the District, please:
- view our election results page.
Registering to vote and voting by post or proxy
For information about registering to vote and postal and proxy voting, please:
District, town and parish councils
West Oxfordshire District Council is made up of 49 elected Councillors, with one third elected three years in four.
- For more information about future district elections please see: Electoral cycle (pdf)
- For more details of election years for your town or parish please see: Parish and Town Council Election Years (pdf)
European parliamentary elections
European Parliamentary elections have taken place every five years between 1979 and 2014, inclusive. West Oxfordshire is currently part of the South East Region, which has 10 MEPs.
Following the result of the EU Referendum held 23 June 2016 it seems likely that the UK will have left the European Union ahead of the next European Parliamentary elections in 2019.
Police and Crime Commissioner: May 2020
The next election of a Police and Crime Commissioner is scheduled for Thursday 7 May 2020.
For information about the Police and Crime Commissioner, please see the official website for the Thames Valley Police and Crime Commissioner.