Black box recycling
Household recycling boxes
Two free recycling black boxes are provided to all households in West Oxfordshire and are collected weekly.
What can go in your black boxes?
- Plastic bottles and containers
- 'Flyaway' plastics i.e. carrier bags, polythene, small clear food packaging, bubble wrap, cling film and compost bags should be placed in a plastic bag (carrier bag or similar) in your black recycling box
- Paper and card
- Cardboard - please ensure this is broken up to fit inside your recycling boxes.
- Drinks cartons / tetrapaks
- Tins, cans and aerosols
- Magazines and newspapers
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminium foil / containers
- Batteries (car batteries must go beside your box)
- Textiles and shoes (please put into clear bags inside your black box)
- All telephone directories
No thank you:
- Tissue paper
- Broken glass
- Rechargeable batteries
- CD's, DVD's or video tapes
- Garden and food waste
- DIY and demolition waste
- Anything contaminated with food
It helps if you rinse and separate your materials within your boxes but it is not a necessity. However, it will help the crews to sort items faster, which means a quicker and more efficient collection service for everybody.
You can also take recycling to various recycling banks around the district and the waste and recycling centres (tips).