We have a duty to investigate any vehicles reported as abandoned within our area.
A vehicle will only be removed if the Council is satisfied that the vehicle is abandoned. Before the veicle is removed a notice will be placed on the vehicle. Factors which indicate that a vehicle is abandoned include:
- no tax
- stationary for a significant amount of time
- significantly damaged or un-roadworthy
- containing waste
- lacking one or more of its number plates
Burnt out vehicles should be reported to the police in the first instance.
Check if a vehicle is taxed - GOV.UK
Reporting an abandoned vehicle
We aim to inspect a vehicle within 48 hours of it being reported. To help us find the vehicle please provide as much information as possible, including:
- Vehicle registration number
- Make and model of the vehicle
- Location and/or any nearby street names or landmarks (include a postcode if you can)
Report an abandoned vehicle