Noise & other nuisances

Problems that the Council cannot deal with:

  • One-off problems - eg: fireworks displays or parties
  • Road traffic noise
  • Smoke from vehicles on the highway - to report a particularly smoky vehicle note down the registration number and report online to the Vehicle Inspectorate or call on 0300 123 9000
  • Aircraft noise - to complain about civilian aircraft noise and low-flying aircraft: get in touch with the airport report it to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). Complaints about military aircraft should be made directly to the airfield where they operate from or to: Ministry of Defence - GOV.UK

Problems that may be considered:

  • The state of premises
  • Smoke (including smoke from bonfires)
  • Fumes/gases
  • Dust, steam, or smells from business premises
  • Accumulations or deposits
  • Animals
  • Noise (including noise from parked car alarms and stationary machines in the street)
  • Artificial lighting 
  • Insects from business premises 

We can investigate these issues where the disturbance is severe, and take formal action when the issue cannot be resolved.

What can you do?

Go directly to the person causing the problem; tell them that you are being disturbed.

Neighbour letter

If this doesn't work you can make a complaint to the Council or take the matter to a Magistrates' court yourself.

To make a complaint through the council

You will need to complete a log of the incidents for 3 weeks:

Incident log

Once you have returned the log it will be assessed by a case officer, if we considered it is severe enough we will take the following steps:

  • Advise the person causing the problem that a complaint has been made.
  • Monitor the problem.
  • An officer will make visits to you or set up specialist noise recording equipment in your property that you will have to operate.

If there is enough evidence the council will take formal action to stop the problem. You will need to support this action.


West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB