Generally the public interest is served when the disclosure of information would:
- Further the understanding of, and the participation in, the debate of issues of the day
- Facilitate the accountability and transparency of our decisions
- Facilitate accountability and transparency in our spending of public money
- Allow individuals to understand decisions made by us that affect their lives and, in some cases, assist individuals in challenging those decisions
- Bring to light information affecting public safety.
However, we may withhold information where we think that the public interest will not be served, for instance where we believe that release will discourage openness in expression of opinions.