Private hire vehicle licences
To operate your vehicle as a private hire vehicle you need to get it licensed.
Private hire vehicles:
- Are only available by booking through a private hire office within the West Oxfordshire District Council area
- Cannot be hailed in the street
- Cannot park on the taxi ranks
- Can set their own fares
Requirements of private hire vehicle licence
- For new and transfer applications the vehicle must be less than five years old from date of first registration.
- For renewal applications the vehicle must be less than 15 years old from date of first registration.
- The vehicle must be fitted with no smoking signs, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
(Wheelchair accessible vehicles are exempt from the Age Policy. Specialist vehicles such as purpose built hackney carriages, Rolls Royce or stretched limousines may also be exempt from the age policy at the discretion of the licensing officers)
Documents required with licence application
- Insurance showing that you are covered for private hire use
- An MOT (unless the vehicle is less than one year old from registration date)
- V5 (or proof of purchase)
- Completed application form (when you sign this you are agreeing to our conditions which can be found in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy)
- LOLER and weight test certificate (wheelchair accessible vehicles only)
Taxi licence fee
There is a fee of £250 for a new vehicle or £185 for a renewal.
Apply for or renew a private hire vehicle licence
Return your completed application form, documents and fee by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or send to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Town Centre Shop, 3 Welch Street, Witney, OX28 6JH.
Your licence will be processed within five working days.
Renewal of vehicle licences
Make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:
- download the application form from this page
- make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) seven working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.
If you allow your licence to expire you will need to submit a new application rather than a renewal, therefore the new application criteria will apply.
Transfers of vehicle licences
Transfers follow the same requirements as new vehicles and will be processed within one working day.
Transfer vehicle fees
|Temporary vehicle (insurance company)||£246|
|Transfer vehicle licence to another person||£25|
|Transfer vehicle to another vehicle (1 year)||£180|
|Transfer vehicle to another vehicle (remainder of plate)||£86|
|Change of registration number||£86|
Other vehicle fees
|Replacement vehicle internal plate||£28|
|Replacement vehicle external plate||£33|
|Administration charge for any other requests||£25|
We will not give refunds for any licences.