Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Business and licensing
  3. Apply or renew licences and permits
  4. Alcohol and entertainment
  5. Premises management
  6. Interim authority notice

Interim authority notice

This can be applied for within 28 days of the licence holder becoming insolvent, mentally incapacitated or dies. It enables the premises licence to continue whilst arrangements are being made to apply to transfer a licence. This must be done within 28 days, otherwise the licence will lapse and a new licence will need to be applied for.

A copy of the notice should also be sent to the chief officer of police.

Right to work and immigration status (Immigration Act 2016)

Individual applicants and applications from partnerships which are not limited liability partnerships are required to provide documentation to prove entitlement to work/immigration status.

To hold a licence an individual or member of a partnership must be resident in the UK and:

  • Have the right to live and work in the UK and
  • Have no conditions preventing them from doing the licensable activity 

To prove this you need to include copies or scans (which don’t need to be certified) of the following documents:

Apply for an interim authority notice


The fee for an interim authority notice is £23.

What happens next

As soon as an interim authority notice is given within the 28 day period, the business may continue to carry on any licensable activities permitted by the premises licence.

The chief officer of police may object on crime prevention grounds to an interim authority notice within 48 hours of receiving the copy notice. We will then hold a hearing to determine the notice given by the police.

If no objection is received we issue the interim authority notice. The maximum time it may have effect is three months, during which time you will need to apply to transfer the premises licence.