Skip to main content

Transfer of premises

When licensed premises change hands, the new owner or operator must transfer the premises licence as soon as possible. This can be done before the transfer date specifying the date that it will became effective.

Apply to transfer a premises licence Apply for consent to transfer

Right to work and immigration status (Immigration Act 2016)

Individual applicants and applications from partnerships which are not limited liability partnerships are required to provide documentation to prove entitlement to work and immigration status.

To hold a licence an individual or member of a partnership must be resident in the UK and:

  • Have the right to live and work in the UK and
  • Have no conditions preventing them from doing the licensable activity 

To prove this you need to include copies or scans (which don’t need to be certified) of the following documents:

You can also apply by downloading an application form and sending it to the licensing department. If you apply by this method you will also need to send a copy of the application form to the chief officer of police.


The fee for a transfer of premises licence is £23.

What happens next

The application may take effect immediately or on a date specified in the application form. We will issue you with a revised premises licence and licence summary.

If the chief officer of police for the area where the premises is situated is satisfied that the exceptional circumstances of the case are such that granting the application would undermine the crime prevention objective, he must give a notice of this to the licensing authority within 14 days. We will then hold a hearing to determine the notice given by the police.