You need a licence to buy and sell scrap metal.
There are two types of scrap meal licence:
- Site collectors licence, which allows you to buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the council area
- Collector’s licence, which allows you to travel within the council area to collect scrap metal. You may not take this metal back to a site that you run within the council area in order to sell it.
Basic Disclosure certificate
Before you apply you'll need a Basic Disclosure Certificate from the Disclosure Barring Service for yourself and any person listed on the application, including the site manager (if applying for a site licence), each partner if a partnership, and, if a company, for the director(s), company secretary and shadow director.
When assessing applicants, partnerships or a company's suitability to hold a scrap metal dealer's licence, we will check each Basic Disclosure certificate against the list of convictions for relevant offences. Having a conviction for a relevant offence may not automatically prevent you from having a licence.Apply for a basic disclosure certificate
Apply for a scrap metal licence
Complete and return the application form to apply for your licence. The licence lasts for three years.
If you need to make any changes to your licence you can apply online.Apply to change a scrap metal licence
Fees for scrap metal licences
Fees for a scrap metal licence are:
- £559.18 for a collectors or site licence
- £559.18 to renew licence
- £58.81 for a variation to a licence, including a change of site manager
- £44.38 for other variations