Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Business and licensing
  3. Apply or renew licences and permits
  4. Taxi and private hire licensing
  5. Private hire operator licences

Private hire operator licences

Please see our Coronavirus updates - Driver and vehicle licences page for the latest information.

You must have a private hire operator licence to dispatch a private hire vehicle to a customer. An operator must make sure all vehicles and drivers have the necessary licences.

What you will need to apply for a licence

  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) basic check certificate
  • your business must operate within the West Oxfordshire District Council area


  • £100 for one year or £400 for 5 years
  • £23 for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (if required)

Renew a licence

To renew your licence, return the form to us at least 7 days before your licence expires.

It is your responsibility to check the expiry date of your licence. We will not send you a reminder or any other documents.


Return your completed application form, supporting documents and fee to

Or you can post them to us at:

Environmental and Regulatory Services
Council Offices
OX28 1NB

How you can pay:

  • by phone (01993) 861000
  • by cheque sent with your application form

We’ll process your application within 2 working days.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

If you are also a licensed driver in our District, you will not need to provide a DBS check.

If you do need a DBS check, you can apply online. Enter the following details:

  • organisation reference: COTSWOLD
  • password: council

You’ll need to send us 3 types of ID to process your application. A full list of the valid ID types is available on GOV.UK.

You must also sign up to the DBS Online Update Service and send your certificate number to the licensing team. We will suspend your licence if you do not.

Our licensing Sub-Committee will consider any previous cautions or convictions when processing your application. Refer to our policy on convictions for more information.

Proof of right to work - Immigration Act 2016

You’ll need to prove that you have the right to work in the UK. You’ll need to send us original documents for this check, please view the list of suitable IDs.

  • if you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to send ID from List A
  • if you have a period of 'leave' you will need to send ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2, depending on which group applies.

We only need to do this check once if you have a permanent right to work. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we’ll need to check each time your licence is renewed.

We keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.