Food safety regulations
Due to Coronavirus many of our food businesses may wish to diversify and offer collection, delivery or takeaway services. Please read our leaflet and contact us on email@example.com if you need further advice or information.
To register your premises to serve or sell food or drink whether or not the premises operate commercially, see our food business registration page.
How the EU food regulation affects you depends on the size and type of your business. The three basic EU food hygiene regulations are:
- Regulation (EC) 852/2004 covers the hygiene of foodstuffs
- Regulation (EC) 853/2004 covers specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin
- Regulation (EC) 854/2004 covers specific rules for the organisation of official controls on products of animal origin intended for human consumption
For information about the other legal requirements and regulations visit the Food Standards Agency.
Food hygiene training
All food handling staff must have adequate training, or be instructed and supervised to ensure that food is handled safely. In most cases Level 2 Food Safety qualifications are sufficient but supervisors and managers should aim for Level 3.
We offer eight online Level 2 training courses which cost £35 per course per person. Course details and and how to apply:
The person responsible for developing and maintaining the food safety management system must have adequate training in the application of the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles. This may be through experience and previous knowledge or a Level 2 course in HACCP.
Visit the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health for details of training.
Food safety management system
Every food business operator must take a risk-based approach towards food safety and implement a food safety management system. This should be based on the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP). For further advice visit: Make a HACCP food plan on GOV.UK.
Safer food, better business packs
The Food Standards Agency has developed the safer food, better business pack. The following packs are available to download. The catering pack and diary sheets are available to purchase from our customer services team.
- Chinese cuisine
- Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan cuisine
- Diary sheets for the safer food better business packs
The Safer Food, Better Business pack will help you to:
- meet the regulations
- show what you do to make food safely
- train staff
- protect your business' reputation
- improve your business, for example by wasting less food.
Food allergies and intolerances
Advice on food allergies and intolerances:
- Food Standards Agency guidance for businesses on food allergies and intolerances
Food safety and hygiene inspections
If you want to appeal the results of your inspection, visit the Food Standards Agency.
Food Service Plan
We operate in line with our Food Service Plan.