Food safety regulations

To register your premises to serve or sell food or drink whether or not the premises operate commercially, please visit the:

Food regulations

How the EU food regulation affects you depends on the size and type of your business. The three basic EU food hygiene regulations are:

For information about the other legal requirements and regulations please see: 

Food hygiene training

All food handling staff must have adequate training, or be instructed and supervised to ensure that food is handled safely. In most cases Level 2 Food Safety qualifications are sufficient but supervisors and managers should aim for Level 3.

We offer eight online Level 2 training courses which cost £35 per course per person. For details of the courses and how to apply:

The person responsible for developing and maintaining the food safety management system must have adequate training in the application of the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles. This may be through experience and previous knowledge or a Level 2 course in HACCP.

See the following for details of training:

Food safety management system

Every food business operator must take a risk-based approach towards food safety and implement a food safety management system. This should be based on the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP). For further advice visit:   

Safer food, better business packs

The Food Standards Agency has developed the safer food, better business pack. The following packs are available to download. The catering pack and diary sheets are available to purchase our customer services team.

The Safer Food, Better Business pack will help you to:

  • meet the regulations
  • show what you do to make food safely
  • train staff
  • protect your business' reputation
  • improve your business, for example by wasting less food.

Food allergies and intolerances

For advice on food allergies and intolerances please see:

Food safety and hygiene inspections

If you want to appeal the results of your inspection, please visit:

Food Service Plan

We operate in line with our Food Service Plan.

West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB