Premises licence - new applications

A premises licence is needed to:

  • Sell alcohol;
  • Serve hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am
  • Provide entertainment (plays, films, indoor sporting events, live music, recorded music (other than background music), dance and providing music-making or dancing facilities).

How to apply

Before applying, read the guidance notes for details of how to apply, the eligibility criteria and the documentation you will need to provide.

Apply for a premises licence

What happens next

The application should be advertised for a period of 28 days at the premises and a copy should also be advertised in the public notices section of the local newspaper.

After the 28 day consultation period has expired, if no representations have been received from responsible authorities or interested parties, then the licence is granted as applied for.  We will issue the licence shortly after.

If we receive a representation from a responsible authority or interested party then the application may need to be considered by the licensing sub committee. A hearing will be arranged within 20 working days after the end of the representation period.

Mandatory conditions for premises licences licensed for the sale by retail of alcohol

If a premises licence, which includes retail sale of alcohol, has been issued, then there will be mandatory conditions which the licence holder must adhere to.

Failure to comply with any conditions attached to a premises licence may result in a fine of up to £20,000 and/or six months imprisonment.


West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB