A number of shops and businesses in Witney, Burford and Chipping Norton offer a Safe Place for vulnerable people (such as those with dementia, learning disabilities or mental health needs) when they feel lost, worried or threatened while they’re out and about in the town.
How the Safe Place scheme works:
- people who might need to use a Safe Place carry a card, which they fill in with the details of their chosen contact
- the businesses display a distinctive window sticker so that the vulnerable person can easily identify them
- when they show their card in a Safe Place, the business or shop will get in touch with their chosen contact and keep the vulnerable person safe until they arrive
Request a Safe Places card
You can get a Safe Place card for a vulnerable person from the following places:
- West Oxfordshire District Council, Town Centre Shop, Welch Way, Witney
- West Oxfordshire District Council, Elmfield reception, Elmfield Offices, New Yatt Road, Witney
- Cottsway Housing, Station Lane, Witney
Register as a Safe Place
To register as a Safe Place in West Oxfordshire contact:
- Paul Ledden on 01993 861077 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Bennett on 01993 861000 or email Jennifer.Bennett@westoxon.gov.uk
Thames Valley Police check that each business meets the Safe Place criteria and volunteers visit every so often to check.