Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Council tax and benefits
  3. Housing benefits and Universal Credit
  4. Appeal a benefit decision

Appeal a benefit decision

When we receive your completed application we will calculate your benefits and send you a decision letter. If you disagree with our decision you can ask for an explanation within one month of getting the decision letter.

If you are still unhappy with the decision you can ask us to reconsider and your application will be reviewed by a senior officer 

If you receive a new decision notice and you still disagree you will need to begin the disputing process again by asking for further explanation.

Appeal a housing benefit decision

If you think our decision is wrong you can ask us to pass your case to an independent appeal tribunal by filling in and returning the benefits appeal form.

When we receive your appeal form we will arrange a hearing where:

  • you will be able to state why you disagree with the decision and give any relevant evidence
  • we will detail our decision and explain how the decision was reached.

The tribunal will make a decision about your entitlement. This decision must be honoured by us and you.

For more information about questioning a benefits decision, please email us at or call 01993 861030

Appeal a council tax support decision

If you disagree with our decision you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service within one calendar month of our letter. To contact them: