Noise and other nuisances
Problems we may be able to help with
We can investigate these issues where the disturbance is severe, and take formal action when the issue cannot be resolved.
- The state of a premises
- Smoke (including smoke from bonfires)
- Fumes or gases
- Dust, steam, or smells from business premises
- Accumulations or deposits
- Noise (including noise from parked car alarms and stationary machines in the street)
- Artificial lighting
- Insects from business premises
Problems we cannot help with
We are not able to help with:
- one-off problems such as fireworks displays or parties
- road traffic noise
- smoke from vehicles on the highway. To report a particularly smoky vehicle note down the registration number and Report online to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency or call the Vehicle Inspectorate on 0300 123 9000
- aircraft noise. To complain about civilian aircraft noise and low-flying aircraft Report it to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). Complaints about military aircraft should be made directly to the airfield where they operate from or Report it to the Ministry of Defence - GOV.UK.
What you can do
Go directly to the person causing the problem. Or you can use our letter template.
If this doesn't work you can make a complaint to us or take the matter to a Magistrates' court yourself.
Make a complaint to us
You will need to complete a log of the incidents for three weeks:
Once you have returned the log it will be assessed by a case officer. If we consider it is severe enough we will:
- advise the person causing the problem that a complaint has been made.
- monitor the problem.
- ask an officer to make visits to you or set up specialist noise recording equipment in your property that you will have to operate.
If there is enough evidence we will take formal action to stop the problem, which you will need to support.