Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Environment
  3. Noise, pests, pollution and air quality
  4. Noise and other nuisances

Noise and other nuisances

Problems the council may be able to help with

We can investigate these issues where the disturbance is severe, and take formal action when the issue cannot be resolved:

  • The state of premises
  • Smoke (including smoke from bonfires)
  • Fumes and gases
  • Dust, steam, or smells from business premises
  • Accumulations or deposits
  • Animals
  • Noise (including noise from parked car alarms and stationary machines in the street)
  • Artificial lighting 
  • Insects from business premises 


Report anti-social behaviour

Problems the council cannot deal with

How to take action yourself

Go directly to the person causing the problem; tell them that you are being disturbed.

If this doesn't work you can make a complaint to us or take the matter to a Magistrates' court yourself.

Make a complaint through the council

You will need to complete a log of the incidents for three weeks:

Once you have returned the log it will be assessed by a case officer. If we considered it is severe enough we will take the following steps:

  • Advise the person causing the problem that a complaint has been made
  • Monitor the problem
  • An officer will make visits to you or set up specialist noise recording equipment in your property that you will have to operate

If there is enough evidence the council will take formal action to stop the problem. You will need to support this action.