Buying a home
If you want to buy your own home but think you can't afford it, then shared ownership could be the answer. This scheme is for those who can afford mortgage repayments but do not have the large deposit often required:
Help to Buy
The Help to Buy shared ownership or 'part buy/part rent' is a government funded scheme that helps people buy their own home. If you meet the conditions you can buy a share of a newly built property and pay a subsidised rent on the portion you don't own. You can then increase your share of the property if your financial situation improves but this is not compulsory.
To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:
- Be in housing need
- Have an annual household income below £60,000
- Not otherwise able to afford to buy your own home
- Have savings of at least £2,500 to cover the costs of buying a home eg legal fees
- Not own another property or have your name on the deeds of another property at the time of purchase
- Have a good credit history.
Other criteria may apply.
You can register with Radian who are the Help to Buy agent for this area:
- Register with Help to Buy South online or
- Call 0800 456 11 88
For more information see: