Council tax bands & appeals
The Valuation Office Agency (VOA), not the Council, allocates every property one of eight bands based on its value on 1 April 1991. Even if you live in a new property the VOA will work out the band based on what the property value would have been in 1991.
Find your property's council tax band and annual charge:
- Type your house number and street or postcode in the 'postcode search' box and click Go
- Find your address in the list and click the Select your address button
- Your property's council tax band and annual charge will be displayed in the box.
|Council Tax Band||Property Value|
|A||Up to £40,000|
|B||£40,001 to £52,000|
|C||£52,001 to £68,000|
|D||£68,001 to £88,000|
|E||£88,001 to £120,000|
|F||£120,001 to £160,000|
|G||£160,001 to £320,000|
Long term empty properties
These are properties which are unoccupied and unfurnished for six months or more. No discount is awarded. Where a property has remained unoccupied and unfurnished for 24 months or more an additional 100% premium will be added to the charge from April 1st 2019.
Appealing your council tax banding
You may be able to appeal your council tax band. For more information contact the Valuation Office:
- Valuation Office Agency website
- call: 03000 501501
- write to: The Valuation Office Agency, 4400 Nash Court, Oxfordshire Business Park South, Garsington Road, Oxford, OX4 2RU.
If you appeal against your banding you must continue paying your council tax until a decision has been made.