The removal of graffiti including drawings, scribbles, messages or 'tags' that are painted, written or carved on walls and other surfaces is the responsibility of varying agencies and property owners.

Here is some guidance on reporting graffiti:

Council owned properties:

West Oxfordshire District Council is responsible for the removal of graffiti from council owned properties including offices, leisure centres, public toilets, rubbish bins, fences, etc

To report graffiti on property owned by the Council please contact our customer services team on 01993 861000 or Report graffiti

Where possible we will:

  • Remove offensive graffiti on areas that we are responsible for within one working day.
  • Remove other graffiti on a Council building within 10 working days

Street furniture: 

The companies that own street furniture such as post boxes and telecommunications cabinets are responsible for removing the graffiti.

Contact the company responsible to ask them to remove it. Please provide exact location and box number if shown.

Your local town/parish council may be responsible for bus shelters in your area. In this case you will need to contact the clerk to report any incidents of graffiti.

Highway signs, speed cameras or traffic bollards: 

To report graffiti on highway signs, speed camera and traffic bollards (not street name plates) contact Oxfordshire County Council

Private housing or business premises:

The owner of the property is responsible for its removal. If you live in a housing association property please contact your local housing officer.

We can advise on graffiti removal on private buildings and businesses premises. Please contact us on 01993 861000 for details.

Prevent graffiti by:

  • Not painting outside walls white    
  • Applying pebble dash type surfaces to walls rather than smooth, rendered concrete
  • Growing plants and shrubs against walls to restrict access to surfaces
  • Preventing access to roofs by coating drainpipes with non-drying paint available from DIY stores
  • Securing fencing around the property to limit access
  • Installing security cameras
  • Coating walls with a suitable graffiti resistant coating

If you witness somebody damaging property with graffiti, call 101 immediately to report it.


Report graffiti


West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB