If you plan to demolish a building, or part of a building, you may need to submit a Demolition Notice, giving six weeks' notice, to:

  • our building control team;
  • neighbouring owners and
  • electric, gas and water service providers.

You don’t need to notify us about demolition of:

  • buildings with an external size of less than 50m3 which is smaller than the average double garage
  • building extensions on a larger building that consist of an attached conservatory, shed or garage
  • buildings used solely for agriculture
  • work in occupied buildings where it is intended that it should continue to be occupied.

Fill in a demolition notice

Download and fill in the:

If required, we will send out a 'counter notice' with conditions in the interests of public safety and neighbouring owners/occupiers.

Starting demolition work

Demolition work should only start after either:

  • we have served a counter notice; or
  • six weeks after the demolition notice was sent; or
  • we've confirmed in writing that a counter notice will not be served.

Listed buildings and Conservation Areas

  • Any alteration or demolition of a listed building requires Listed Building Consent
  • The substantial or complete demolition of an unlisted building in a Conservation Area may require consent - see Conservation Areas

Asbestos materials

If materials containing asbestos are found during demolition, please:

If the skip operator or other contractor is not licensed to transport asbestos based products, a licence will be required from the Environment Agency.

West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB