Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Communities and leisure
  3. Coronavirus - Community support

Coronavirus - Community support

Sign up to our newsletter for information and news on Covid-19 support.

Sign up to community support newsletter

Support for clinically vulnerable people and self-isolating residents

The restrictions recommend the over 60s and the clinically vulnerable minimise their contacts with others. Those who are clinically extremely vulnerable are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible, including working from home.

If you or someone you know has a received a letter from the Government about receiving additional support, you have been identified as being extremely vulnerable. In order to benefit from this support, you need to register yourself on the national system.

If you require additional support we will be informed and will make contact to identify your needs in more detail. If you need urgent support then you are able to contact us by phone on 01993 861077 or email This service is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Outside of these times please call 0151 34 32 945 if you require urgent help. This will be charged at the national rate.

If you have urgent adult social care needs, then please contact Oxfordshire County Council call 01865 897820 or email The service is open:

  • 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday
  • 8.30am to 4pm on Fridays
  • closed Saturday to Sunday and Bank Holidays

This guidance will not affect any social care or support you were receiving. 

Local contact tracing system

A local contact tracing team is in place to contact anyone who has recently tested positive for COVID-19, and have been reached by the NHS test and trace system.

This service will run seven days a week. Calls will come from Oxfordshire Council using a local (01865) phone number. Text messages will also be sent to people telling them to expect a call and giving you a number to call back if you want.

If we cannot reach you by phone, your details will be passed to the local district or city council team who will visit you at home.  Oxfordshire Council will deliver a letter explaining why they are trying to get in touch and how to contact local call handlers.

Community support

The Oxfordshire All In website has details of local support you can access. You may also be interested in one of their volunteering opportunities, for example collecting prescriptions, shopping, keeping in touch.

If you are working with volunteers or want to organise a volunteer group the National Council for Voluntary Organisations has Covid-19 specific advice.

Food and essential supplies

Find information on how to get food and other essential supplies during the coronavirus pandemic.

Covid Winter Grant Scheme for food and essential supplies

Covid Winter Support funding

Help is available for people who are struggling to afford food and cover basic living costs. This funding forms part of the governments Covid-19 Winter Grant Scheme. It is distributed through Oxfordshire County Council to West Oxfordshire District Council.

The grant is mainly but not exclusively aimed at families with children. The scheme can provide food vouchers for supermarkets and includes some fuel support. It is available until 31 March 2021.

Similar funding is available in all parts of Oxfordshire, you should contact your local Council for details.

How to apply

Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire is overseeing the scheme on behalf of the Council and will help you work out if you qualify. For more information and to request a referral form contact Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire by email or call 0808 278 7908.

Good Food Oxford is continuously updating the Oxfordshire food access map to signpost anyone in food need to community food services such as foodbanks, community larders, and food projects.

If you are struggling to pay fuel bills please contact Better Housing Better Health or Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire.

DEFRA has produced a list of food options for vulnerable people to help you get food when you need it.

Finances, housing and foodbanks

If you are struggling financially find out where you can access free or subsidised food.

The Department for Work and Pensions are regularly updating their website with information on how to claim benefits for people who have been affected by Coronavirus.

The Money Advice Service have lots of resources to help you find out what you might be entitled to, and where you can get financial help.

If you need help you can also contact Citizens Advice who can offer advice.

Housing Support

Connections provide support to those with a housing-related need, including facing homelessness, coupled with other needs that justify a tailored support plan of up to six months. Contact them by calling 01993 704061 or emailing

Health and wellbeing

Mental health

The charity Mind have lots of useful advice and tips about how to protect your mental health and reduce anxiety about Coronavirus. 

The Conversations has an article on staying connected and reducing loneliness whilst you are in isolation.

Age UK Oxfordshire have launched a new telephone service for older people who need support if they are self-isolating. Call 01865 411 288 and leave your name and number, someone will call you weekly to see how you are, chat and offer practical support if needed.

If you have a diagnosis of dementia, or are a carer or relative of someone who has, Dementia Oxfordshire can provide advice and support. Contact them Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm on 01865 410210  or email

Oxford Health NHS Trust Mental Health Helpline is a 24/7 mental health helpline for people of all ages who need mental health advice. Call them on 01865 904 997 for adults or 01865 904 998 for children and young people.

Guideposts is an information Service offering free support to anyone currently struggling with stress, anxiety or fatigue. Free advice and support  is available over the phone or by webchat, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Call them on 0800 048 7035 or email

Turning Point offer a drug and alcohol treatment and support service. You can contact them by calling 01993 849 405 or emailing

Staying active

One way you can help improve your mental health if you are self-isolating is by staying active. These organisations have produced tips and guides for people to stay active:

Active at Home

The Active at Home booklet (opens as a PDF) provides practical guidance to older adults on home-based activities to maintain their strength and balance.

It follows concerns that low levels of physical activity in older adults will lead to reduced fitness resulting in loss of independence and need for care in the future.


ElWell is a local company who support people to stay active as they get older. As home visits are currently not permitted they have been busy offering virtual support to people during self-isolation focusing on physical and mental wellbeing. They are also offering virtual physiotherapy sessions to help people stay mobile.

Domestic abuse

Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Services offers free services to anybody aged 16+ experiencing domestic abuse. Their Abuse Helpline is open Monday to Friday 10am to 7pm. Contact them by calling 0800 731 0055 or emailing

You can also call the 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

Town and Parish Councils

If you are a Town or Parish Councillor you can check how many people in your area are over 65 and so may be self-isolating and need extra support. 

The Oxfordshire Association of Local Councils is providing regular updates on how you can manage core services.

Voluntary groups and organisations

Oxfordshire Community and Voluntary Action provide advice, information and support for voluntary and community groups.

We have created a map of the local area  showing  businesses offering food delivery or takeaway.  You can find contact details  of the business and what they are offering.

West Oxfordshire food map

If you are a business and would like to be added to the map you can register.

Register a business for the food map

NHS Volunteer Responders Portal

Hundreds of thousands of volunteers have stepped up to support vulnerable people in England who are at most risk from the virus. These volunteers are matched via the GoodSAM app with members of their community who need support to stay well at home.

The help on offer ranges from support with grocery shopping and collecting prescriptions to ‘check in and chat’ phone calls. The volunteers will also help the NHS with patient transport and transport of medical equipment and supplies.

Health and social care professionals can refer people into this service whose medical conditions make them particularly vulnerable and at risk. It will be used by doctors, nurses, pharmacists, local authorities and others where there is no alternative local support and where friends and family of the individual are unable to help. This keeps hospital beds free and provides health professionals with a trusted, national database of volunteers.

NHS Volunteer Responders is being delivered by Royal Voluntary Service one of the country’s largest and longest-standing volunteering charities.


For more information on scams related to Coronavirus visit the Friends against Scams website. They have more information on different types and how to protect yourself.