Skip to main content

Animal activity licence

You must have an animal activity licence if you:

  • provide or arrange boarding facilities for cats or dogs
  • breed dogs
  • sell animals as pets
  • hire out horses
  • keep or train animals for exhibition

The current Animal Welfare Regulations began on 1 October 2018.


You must pay for each licensable activity that your licence will cover.

Franchise/host fees

If a franchise has 4 host families within West Oxfordshire District, the fee would be the initial franchise licence fee plus the additional licences. 

Additional activity fees

If you are applying for more than one activity, you must pay the full amount for the most expensive activity, then the additional amount for each extra activity.

How to apply

Before you apply for a licence you should read the guidance notes.

Return your completed application form, supporting documents and fee to [email protected].

Or by post:

West Oxfordshire District Council
Woodgreen Offices
OX28 1NB

Star rating scheme

We use a risk-based system to decide your star rating and the length of the licence. This does not include “Keeping or Training Animals for Exhibition” where all licences are valid for 3 years.

For further information on the star rating scheme, refer to the procedural guidance notes.

Approval of your licence

We aim to evaluate your application within 10 weeks, but it may take longer.

Vet inspection fees

Depending on which activities you are applying for, we may need to appoint a vet to inspect your premises. Vet inspections are not covered by the application fees, so we’ll invoice you for this service. 

DEFRA Guidance

The Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs has produced procedural guidance for local authorities. It can also be used by those who currently have a licence or wish to apply for one.

The page includes guidance on:

  • providing boarding for cats and dogs
  • dog breeding
  • selling animals as pets
  • hiring out horses
  • keeping or training animals for exhibition