Skip to main content

Domestic abuse and housing

Help from the police

The police can provide practical help and advice, and there are officers who deal specifically with cases of domestic violence.  They are trained to assist and will consider your safety and wellbeing as their first priority.  If you wish, you can meet personally with a member of the domestic violence team.  The time and place of the meeting can be arranged to suit you.

For more information on the local help and support available please visit Reducing the risk website 

Warning In an emergency, always dial 999

Help from the Housing team

If you need help and advice please contact Housing Services on 01993 861000.

Each case is different.  We will offer you an appointment with a housing advisor to talk privately about your situation. You are welcome to bring a friend or support worker along with you. All information will be treated in confidence.

The advice and assistance that we offer will depend on your wishes, and whether you wish to leave your current home or discuss what options are available. Information may include the following:

  • Your rights of occupation
  • Injunctions available
  • Assistance with referral to Thames Valley Domestic Violence unit for further advice and support
  • Referral to a support worker at Oxfordshire Women's Aid
  • Referral to West Oxfordshire Domestic Violence outreach worker
  • Access to alternative accommodation

What if I am homeless?

If you are homeless, we will offer you an appointment with a Housing advisor to talk about your situation in private. They will:

  • Help you to complete a homeless application
  • Arrange a place of safety, this may be a refuge, but may also be emergency accommodation
  • Advise you of your legal rights
  • Let you know what help the Council can offer by nominating you for rehousing by a Housing Association

Making an appointment

If you are homeless, threatened with homelessness, or just want advice, you should contact:


A refuge is a safe house where women who are experiencing domestic abuse can live free from violence.  If you have children, you can take them with you.  Some refuges are small houses.  You can choose to travel as far from, or stay as near to, your present home as you want.  Some refuges are specifically for women from particular ethnic and cultural backgrounds - for example, Black, Asian or South American - and many refuges have disabled access and workers who can assist women who have special needs.

There is no emergency refuge provision for men in Oxfordshire but we can put you in contact with hostels that may be able to provide accommodation.  We may also be able to secure temporary accommodation on your behalf.

Staying safe online

If you are worried that someone might access your computer to see what you have been viewing online, please have a look at some tips on being safe online at Reducing the Risk